The Takoma Park neighborhood received the first purpose-built Neighborhood Library in the history of the DC Public Library system on Nov. 17, 1911. Prior to receiving funding for the public library branch, Takoma Park residents were served by a private subscription library. The current Takoma Park Branch at 416 Cedar St. NW was funded through a $40,000 contribution by philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. One of four Carnegie-funded library buildings in Washington, D.C., the Takoma Park Library represented the beginning of a system of branches that today encompasses 25 branch libraries and one central library.
The one-story Renaissance Revival style brick building was designed by the Washington-based architectural firm of Marsh & Peter. The building has continuously served this upper-Northwest community since 1911, and remains a community focal point. The Takoma Park Neighborhood Library stands in the Takoma Park National Register Historic District designated in 1983. The building received an extensive makeover in 2009.